You wonder how you can generate more traffic to your website? You feel you’re swimming in an ocean of information and struggle to find the right methods for you? Relax, we’re here to help you.
Below we present 34 proven tactics for generating traffic to your website. We have organized them in the following thematic categories:
• Content marketing
• Email marketing
• SEO (search engine optimization)
• Keyword research
• Technical improvements
• Social media
• Other marketing techniques
1. Create valuable content
Content creation is a proven method for generating traffic to your website. While it may sound too simple at first, it does work.
Start by looking up frequently asked questions on Google with the help of keywords. You can then offer answers to these questions on your website. A good idea is to write a blog post , in which you answer a question in a reader-friendly language. It’s important to apply the principles of search engine optimization (SEO) because, in this way, Google will drive traffic to your website.
2. Publish long-form content
There is no perfect formula with regards to the length and depth of the content you publish on your website. What matters the most is that you explore the topic thoroughly. Statistics suggest that long-form content has a higher chance of success because:
• It ranks higher on Google, as it covers the topic in greater depth, which, according to the search engine’s criteria, makes it better than shorter pieces of content
• It helps you turn readers into customers
3. Create rankings
Rankings boost website traffic because numbers act as a psychological trigger, capturing users’ attention. Keep in mind, however, that while draw users to your website, rankings aren’t the best form of content when it comes to converting users into customers.
4. Write attention-grabbing headlines
As a fundamental part of your content, headlines should pique readers’ curiosity. Determine your buyer’s persona and then set aside enough time to find a word that will serve as a hook to capture their attention. Use words that you think your prospective customers will like, as well as call-to-action (CTA) words and phrases and numbers, but avoid jargon.
5. Improve old blog posts
Sometimes solving a problem takes just a simple step in the right direction. One such step is to breathe new life into old blog posts you think you can make better. Here’s what you can do:
• Update old information
• Add more images and videos to make the blog posts more attractive to readers
• Edit the introduction if you find it insufficiently good
• Use CTA words and phrases to draw in users but don’t mislead them
• Make the text more reader-friendly by using shorter and clearer sentences and bullet points
• Republish the revised blog posts and promote them as new
Every business and every website needs an email address. Given that more than 50% of all people in the world use email, it’s important that you know how to generate website traffic via this channel as well.
6. Increase your website’s traffic through email marketing
Email marketing is a relatively cheap but very effective instrument for traffic generation. Here are a few steps you can take to attract new customers:
• Create a subscribers’ email list
• Choose a suitable email marketing software
• Make sure your email template works on mobile devices
• Add CTA words and phrases
• Avoid sending too many emails because they may have the opposite effect
Once you create the right content, you need to promote it in the right way. Below we describe two methods you can use to promote your content effectively.
7. Contribute articles to other websites
By writing articles for external websites, you increase the chances of your content reaching a wider audience interested in the services you provide. This wider reach will, in turn, drive traffic to your website, increasing the popularity of both your website and your services.
8. Publish external articles on your website
Invite people to contribute articles to your website. Of course, you should ensure that the content they deliver is original and offers high-quality information of interest to your readers. In this way, you will not only enrich your website’s content but you may also see an increase in the number of visitors to the website because guest authors will likely promote their articles to their audiences. The result: a win-win situation.
Sharing information on social media is an extremely effective way to drive traffic to your website. This process is evolving, however, as more and more companies advertise their products/services on social media, flooding users with all kinds of information. To take advantage of these platforms in the present context, you can employ some of the following tactics:
9. Join Facebook groups
The easiest thing you can do is to join Facebook groups whose members are likely to be interested in the products/services you offer. Make sure you follow the rules governing the interactions within these communities, sharing moderate amounts of content related to your company.
10. Use Quora
If you don’t have a Quora account, sign up for the platform immediately. Quora lets you track the latest questions people ask about specific issues. This knowledge will allow you to help them find the answers, provided you have the necessary expertise.
We suggest that you answer users’ questions in as much detail as possible, for example in a blog post on your website. Add links to other resources if you think they will be of interest to your readers.
To take full advantage of Quora, you can also check its marketing guidelines.
11. Use forums
One of the oldest traffic-generating tools, forums continue to be useful today. Some forums may look outdated but if they have retained an engaged audience, they can serve as a source of traffic to your website. Below we show how you can harness the power of forums to your advantage:
• Choose the right niche
• Select an appropriate username
• Add a link to your website in your profile
• Publish high-quality content and avoid sharing unnecessary information
• Don’t spam
12. Apply SEO best practices
Whatever you do, you should never neglect SEO. The higher your website ranks on Google, the more traffic it will generate.
To reap the benefits SEO offers, you should write about topics that are popular in Google searches and deliver more informative and better-structured articles than those already existing (if there are such). Make sure your website is optimized properly so that it has all the elements Google expects ‘to see’, namely:
• A SEO-friendly content management system (CMS), such as WordPress
• A design corresponding to your products/services
• Smooth operation on mobile devices
• A valid SSL Certificate
• Fast and reliable web hosting
• Links to relevant websites
• Content that users are interested in and want to read
13. Try to land in Google’s Featured Snippets
Featured Snippets are descriptions of pages that appear right under Google’s search box before the link to the page. They allow people to find the information they seek quickly and without having to click on the website. Thus, appearing in Featured Snippets is a wonderful website traffic booster.
Keyword research is the process of identifying words and phrases which your audience is likely to search for. Once you discover these words and phrases, you’d better add them to your content.
14. Pick traffic-generating topics
To attract Google’s attention, you need to use the right keywords – that is, those among them with the highest potential to generate traffic to your website. Ask yourself these two questions:
• What is the number of people searching for this keyword every month?
• How complicated is the word? (simple words rank higher on Google)
Some of the paid and free keyword research tools you can use include:
An essential SEO element that affects the amount of traffic to your website is its so-called technical health.
15. Keep up with SEO trends
Technical SEO is the process of optimizing your website for Google’s crawlers. This type of SEO is described as technical, as it focuses on the website’s infrastructure rather than on its content.
To improve your website’s technical optimization, stick to the following best practices:
• Optimize your website’s URL structure
• Activate an SSL certificate
• Make your website mobile-friendly
• Optimize your robots.txt file
• Make sure your website loads fast
• Optimize your 404 pages
16. Fix all non-working links
Fixing dysfunctional links plays an important role in your website’s SEO optimization. Wonder why? Because when it comes across such a link, Google may reject it straight away, making it harder for you to rank high in search results. To avoid falling in this situation, check your website for links don’t work and if you find such, fix them immediately.
17. Boost your website’s authority through interlinks (internal links)
Interlinks are links leading from one page on a website to another page on the same website. In general, they appear naturally when the new content is related to existing content. Interlinking:
• Helps visitors find their way around your website more easily
• Adds value and authority to your website
18. Improve your website’s load time
As one of the search engines’ ranking factors, the loading speed of your website has a huge impact on its SEO optimization.
A website’s load time is also a key factor from the user’s point of view. How long you will stay on a website that loads slowly? Will you wait, or will you leave immediately? Fast-loading pages keep users on your website for longer, and Google knows this. Good websites load in 2-3 seconds.
To improve your website’s loading time, you should:
• Compress images you find too big
• Use lighter WordPress themes
• Turn to a reliable hosting company
If used right, social media can drive traffic to your website and spread awareness about your brand. To use them effectively, you need to know which platforms your target audience uses and be active on them.
19. Be active
Sounds simple, right? Being active on social media is indeed simple, yet many people neglect this aspect of their marketing efforts. Here are a few ways to build strong social media presence:
• Add a link to your website on social media such as Facebook and LinkedIn
• Publish interesting and trustworthy content
• Avoid misleading the users of the respective platform
• Post when your target audience is online
• Try to encourage discussions and engage with your followers
• Promote your blog’s content
20. Post at the right time
The right posting time varies from platform to platform. According to some statistics and surveys, the right times for publishing content on four of the most popular social media are as follows:
• Facebook: around 8 p.m. on Thursday
• LinkedIn: around 9 a.m. on Wednesday
• Instagram: around 7 p.m. on Friday
• Twitter: around 5 p.m. on Thursday
21. Add a social sharing button
People like sharing pages and content that they find useful, interesting, or funny. For this reason, you should let users share your content on social media quickly and easily by adding the respective social sharing buttons. You can do this with the WordPress social media plugin.
22. Create a social media calendar
Staying organized is always good. That’s why we recommend that you create a calendar in which you record all your social media posts. Track their performance to identify the most popular ones and learn what content your target groups share the most. This knowledge will allow you to publish the right kind of content at the right time, generating more traffic to your website.
23. Harness the power of Facebook
If you haven’t created a Facebook page for your website yet, set up one now. Facebook contributes to website traffic generation by allowing users to build a reputation and trust, as well as by giving them the opportunity to target a specific audience. Try to find a balance between product-oriented posts and posts on topics that your followers are likely to find interesting, useful, and/or funny.
24. Use Facebook ads
The secret to effective advertising on Facebook is targeting the ads at the right groups. Targeting a carefully selected group of Facebook users will drive the right people to your website. If you’re new to Facebook ads, you can check Facebook Blueprint.
Retargeting/remarketing is the process of targeting people who have visited your website or your Facebook page but haven’t made a purchase. You can retarget/remarket them:
• By email, if they have shared an email address with you
• Through cookies and pixels
26. Use Instagram if it works for your niche
As one of the fastest-growing social media platforms, Instagram can definitely contribute to your website traffic-generating efforts. To make the best use of Instagram, apply the following tips:
• Choose your name and username carefully because it is through these elements that users can find you
• Craft a compelling bio and select an attractive photo
• Insert a URL link to your website in your bio
• Make your profile Public, not Private
27. Generate traffic through Instagram
You can drive Instagram users to your website by posting content relevant to your audience. Other steps you can take include:
• Find and use relevant hashtags
• Follow accounts from your niche
• Try to get shoutouts
• Publish Instagram-exclusive content
• Be active and engage in discussions with your followers who may, over time, become your customers
28. Use Instagram ads
You can create and organize Instagram ads directly from Instagram, from your Facebook page, or in Facebook’s Ad Manager. To use Facebook’s advertising platform for Instagram ads, you first need to connect your accounts on the two platforms.
Here’s how you can start publishing Instagram ads through Facebook in 6 simple steps:
• Go to Facebook’s Ad Manager
• Select your goal
• Select your target groups
• Determine the positioning of your ads
• Determine a budget and a schedule for your ads
• Create your Instagram Ads
29. Generate traffic with YouTube marketing
Do you know that YouTube is the most widely used search engine after Google? Around the world, people spend approximately 1 billion hours on YouTube every day, which means that even a tiny percentage of all views on the platform may have a tremendous impact on your website.
To increase the chances of your YouTube videos to attract attention, follow these tips:
• Put a link to your website in the header of your channel
• Add a link to your website in the descriptions accompanying your videos
• Use CTA words and phrases in your videos
30. Take care of your YouTube channel’s SEO
YouTube SEO is the process of optimizing your channel so that it can reach the right audience. The optimization covers playlists, metadata, descriptions, and the creation of relevant videos.
31. Use YouTube Ads
Once you’ve built a YouTube community, you may target your followers with ads. Make sure to:
• Choose the right format for your ads
• Create attractive ads
32. Generate traffic through LinkedIn
With over 600 million users worldwide, LinkedIn is one of the most popular networking and B2B (business to business) platforms. As such, it’s an ideal platform for you if you want to generate traffic to your B2B website or blog.
Here are a few tips to use LinkedIn to your advantage:
• Optimize your profile regularly
• Join groups from your niche
• Create a page for your company
• Post useful content on a regular basis
• Publish articles
OTHER MARKETING TACTICS
33. Use paid traffic
Paid traffic can offer considerable value if you have a big enough budget. The best traffic sources include:
• Display ads: through banners, photos, videos, etc.
• Paid search ads: through Google AdWords or Bing Ads
• Sponsored content
You can choose among the following types of ads:
• PPC: pay per click
• PPV: pay per view
• PPA: pay per action
34. Start a podcast
If you struggle to find podcasts on which you would like to appear or you have a burning desire to share specific content, why not start your own podcast? Here’s how you can do it:
• Choose the topics you want to talk about
• Come up with a name and a description
• Test your audio recorder
• Plan the episodes
• Record the episodes
• Edit the episodes and publish them
We hope you will find these 34 website traffic-generation tactics illuminating and applicable. They will definitely help you attract more visitors to your website without having to invest a lot of time and energy in the process.