Contact Information Verification of a Domain
Table of content
On 01.01.2014, ICANN (the global domain name regulator) has introduced a very important change according to the new requirements in the Registrar Accreditation Agreement - the verification of the WHOIS information.
The most significant change that people registering/transferring domain names will notice is the verification of their contact email. As part of the Whois Data Accuracy Specification, ICANN will expect every gTLD domain name owner to have valid and verified domain name data.
This will be done through the so-called confirmation email that each domain owner will receive in one of the following situations:
- registering a new domain name;
- domain name (registrars) transferring;
- changing contact information (whois) of a domain name;
The above rules apply to the first level domains (gTLD)
.info, and more.
- A verification email will be sent right after the registration of the domain name. Opening it, you are going to find information regarding the verification and a hyperlink which you must click to confirm your contact email.
- If the recipient fails to verify the authenticity of the contact email by clicking confirmation the link within 15 (fifteen) days, the domain name will be suspended until its owner can prove the authenticity of the WHOIS information.
- If you have missed the first verification email, you are going to receive another on the 7th and 14th day of the domain registration.
- During the 15 (fifteen) day verification period your domain name will continue to work as usual. If you do not confirm the verification, the domain name will be suspended.
- If the registrar has any doubts about the provided information (name, surname, and e-mail address), it may request additional information.
- Once you verify your email address, all domains registered with from the same profile will not require additional verification.
- Once a year, any verified email will be notified for confirmation. If the message can not be received due to the invalidation of the e-mail address, the domain name may be terminated by the Registrar.
- If the customer does not verify their domain name, the amount paid during the registration will not be refunded.
- It applies to
.biz, and so on. It does not apply to
- If you have the privacy protection option enabled, the actual data will be used instead of the business ones.
To enter/edit your domain names' contact information you have to log in to your customer panel.
Click on the user icon or on your user name, or on the arrow to access the panel with your contact information:
To edit your information click on the pencil icon. A new window will open, and you will be able to edit the data:
When you are done, click Save or, if you change your mind, click Cancel to close the window:
You can change your primary registration email by clicking the pencil icon in the My email addresses section. Make sure you have spelled your email address correctly and click Save:
To change your business information, click the pencil icon in My company section - enter a correct data and click the Save button:
If your domain is registered using any secondary profile, you must check and edit the data in that profile if needed. Click on the plus icon in the Secondary profiles section:
Edit the incorrect data in the new window and click the Save button to save the changes:
All of these measures are taken by ICANN to protect users from cyber attacks and to achieve a higher level of data accuracy on the Internet.