Configure Default Address in cPanel
Table of content
Sometimes customers have contacted us with discontent that they have not received an important email. When we check the mail server logs, it appears that the sender incorrectly wrote the email address and therefore the email was not delivered.
Fortunately, cPanel provides a very convenient email account configuration tool that automatically receives (catches) all invalid emails sent to the same domain.
Default Address allows us to choose a catch-all address to receive any email with a incorrect or missing email address. We also have several options available to determine how this mail account will process the incoming messages.
Log in cPanel and in the Email section click the link Default Address:
Managing Default Address
To set the Default Address for your domain, follow these steps.
Select the domain you want to specify from the drop-down menu Default Address:
Choose one of the following options:
- Send error message to sender. Enter an error message in the Failure Message (seen by sender) text field:
- Forward to email address - Select this option to forward the mail to another address. Enter the email address in the Forward to Email Address text field:
Click Advanced Options link to see the following additional options:
- Forward to system profile - Select this option to forward mail to the system profile. The default email account can be used to intercept invalid mail. The user name and password of the default account are the same as the input data in cPanel. The default account can not be deleted and has no quota. If you select this option, you can access the system mail account from the URL:
https://your-domain.com:2096with the cPanel username and password.
- Redirect to Program - Select this option if you want the information to be entered in another program, such as a ticket system.
- Delete - Select this option to delete incoming messages without sending a message to the sender. We do not recommend using the option because the sender will not understand that the letter has not been delivered.
To complete the configuration, click the Change button.
A confirmation message will appear:
cPanel will forward all unrouted email for icn-test.net to email@example.com.
Default Address Test
Let's send an email to non-existent mail account in the
icn-test.net domain (for example
firstname.lastname@example.org) and check whether we will receive the mail in
The email was delivered to
email@example.com exactly according to the Default Address function:
The code of the email also confirms that the email was sent from
sender@ senderdomain.com to
firstname.lastname@example.org but was delivered to
Delivered-To: email@example.com Received: from mail.icntest.net by mail.icntest.net with LMTP id sAs5ECEiPVpIagAAjCkMFw for Fri, 22 Dec 2017 17:17:53 + 02-00 Return-path: Envelope-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope this information will help you set Default Address for all of your domains, and you will no longer lose messages due to misspelling of the email address.